Sunday, May 30, 2010

School's out for the summer...

Well at least it is for me. Friday was my last day of class! It was actually a fairly sad last week. It was hard to say goodbye to all of my students and explain that it's not only my last day for the term, but that I also won't be returning next year. This news was followed by numerous "noooo"'s and a chorus of "but why teacher?" I have really grown to love many of my students and it is sad to leave, knowing I more than likely won't see them ever again. I gave all my students my email address, so hopefully at least one of the hundreds of students I have manages to actually keep in touch. We'll see.

Now that my work here is officially over, I feel like I should have some deep introspective post about all I've learned in China and how these past ten months have changed me. Maybe it's just because it's so hot, hot, HOT outside, or because I've been running around all day...but I got nothing. I think it's more likely that I won't really understand or fully appreciate this experience all at once, but rather it will be something that will come gradually over time. One thing I know for certain though, is that this experience has taught me that I am capable of much more than I realized. I have managed to make my way, navigate, feed and cloth myself, live, have fun, and thrive in a country that really is much different than my own, and do it all despite the fact that I unable to communicate with almost anyone I meet. I remember when I first arrived, the hour and a half bus ride across the city (including bus changes) that I had to take each day seemed almost overwhelmingly impossible. How would I know which stop to change the bus at (the stops are obviously labeled only in Chinese)? How would I know where to get off? How would I remember the way from the bus stop to campus? Now, as I remember I feel silly I was ever so intimidated. Nowadays I often use the bus ride as an opportunity for a nap. I had very seriously considered joining the Peace Corps after graduating, but managed to talk myself out of it- mostly because I just didn't think I'd be able to handle it. While I'm sure a Peace Corp position would have been much more challenging than this, I am pretty sure that I could have done it, and I really regret chickening out. Oh well, there's still time for that:)

I suppose even if that's all I've learned, it's something. Surely if I can navigate my way through a Chinese super market I can handle whatever else it is life has to throw at me. So there you go, I managed a little introspection after all. Maybe a bit cheesy...but you can blame the heat for that.

Anyway, that's about all the time I have for this silly business. At three a.m. I am boarding a train with two of the other foreign teachers, and we are heading to Tibet! I am super excited! I think it's going to be an amazing trip...if we can survive the 38 hour train ride to get there. The train I will be taking is the highest train in the world, and goes up to nearly 17,000 ft at its highest point. Which is high my friends. So high, in fact, that they have oxygen on the train. Awesome. I'll be in Tibet for about two weeks, and we have an amazing trip planned including a trip to Nam-Tso Lake and a night at Everest base camp in nomad yak tents! I'm very excited. I better get back to packing!


No comments:

Post a Comment